Battlefields Beach & Bush
Explore the lush province of KwaZulu-Natal at your own pace by car. Discover the region's beautiful landscapes, from historical battlefields to Big Five game viewing in a protected wildlife area and rest and relaxation on sandy beaches. Delve deep into the country's fascinating past and walk the very fields where a clash of the titans took place during the Zulu War and the Anglo Boer War. Track the Big Five at &Beyond Phinda Private Game Reserve, renowned for its close sightings of the elusive cheetah and rare black rhino. Travel to the Maputaland coast, where warm, clear waters, dazzling beaches and lush dune forests entice visitors to explore.
8 DAYS / 7 NIGHTS
Start anticipating your African adventure with a short summary of what you can expect each day on safari to bring.
This safari begins and ends at King Shaka International Airport in Durban.
Day 1 & 2: Kwazulu-Natal Battlefields
On arrival at King Shaka International Airport you will be warmly welcomed by a member of the &Beyond team, who will help you with the collection of your rental vehicle.
Once a place of bitter warfare between Zulu and Boer, British and Zulu, and British and Boer, today you'd be hard pressed to find a place more tranquil than the area known as the Battlefields. With the many wars that were fought here, the region is rich in historical memorabilia, fascinating museums, monuments and artifacts, right down to inscriptions carved into rocks by army cooks.
Enjoy two nights in a standard room at Fugitives’ Drift Lodge. Your stay includes breakfast, lunch, dinner, tea and coffee.
Day 3 & 4: &Beyond Phinda Private Game Reserve
After breakfast, you will make your way to &Beyond Phinda Private Game Reserve.
Set within easy reach of the Indian Ocean coastline, &Beyond Phinda Private Game Reserve is known for its abundant wildlife, diversity of habitats and wide range of safari activities. Thanks to its coastal rainfall pattern, the Reserve enjoys a lush, green environment that contains seven distinct ecosystems, often referred to as Seven Worlds of Wonder. This fascinating variety of landscape and vegetation shelters an abundance of wildlife, including not only the Big Five, but many rarer and less easily spotted species, such as the elusive cheetah or scarce black rhino. The marine diversity of nearby Sodwana Bay on the coast is easily accessible, with scuba diving, fishing and even turtle watching only some of the adventures available.
Indulge in two nights in a suite at Phinda Mountain Lodge. Your stay includes three meals daily, soft drinks, house wines, local brand spirits and beers, teas and coffees, emergency medical evacuation insurance, laundry and daily lodge adventures.
Day 5 - 7: Maputaland Coast
After breakfast, make your way to a pick-up point on the KwaZulu-Natal coastline, where you will be met by a driver from Thonga Beach Lodge, who will take you the rest of the way.
Situated in the heart of the Greater St Lucia Wetland Park, Mabibi lies close to the Mozambique border. A pristine, undeveloped beach on the Maputaland coast, it is a subtropical ocean paradise. A magical place of unspoilt beaches, coastal forests, grasslands and shimmering lakes, its crystal-clear, warm waters offer leisurely swimming, amazing snorkelling on beautiful coral reefs and spectacular scuba diving.
Spend three nights in a forest room at Thonga Beach Lodge. Your stay includes three meals per day, tea and coffee, use of snorkelling equipment, guided walks and kayaking, sundowners on Lake Sibaya and cultural tours.
Day 8: Departure
After breakfast, you will be returned to the pick-up point, where you will collect your rental vehicle and make your way back to King Shaka International Airport.
8 DAYS / 7 NIGHTS
Included in the rate
- Welcome and assistance service at King Shaka International Airport
- Accommodation and inclusions as per the itinerary
- Battlefields tour at Fugitives' Drift Lodge
- Car rental of a Group B vehicle on super cover for eight days, including the contract fee
- Super cover inclusions and exclusions apply for the car rental
- Scheduled pick-ups and drop-offs at Coastal Cashews
- Emergency medical evacuation insurance
- Rates are subject to a minimum of two guests travelling
- The operator may reroute the itinerary or accommodate in similar lodges in case of non-availability
- Single traveller supplement and child rates will be quoted on request
- Validity periods are as specified above - should a booking fall over two rate periods, the rate will change and we reserve the right to re-quote
- The rates quoted are subject to change without warning if there are any increases in bed levies, park fees, fuel, sales tax or VAT, third party service or any other circumstance beyond our control in the countries featured in this quote.
- &Beyond trading terms apply