Zambian Spice Trail
Take in the breath-taking sight of the Victoria Falls with a safari through some of the richest and wildest wildlife destinations in Zambia.
Explore the shores of the mighty Zambezi above the spot where they fall into the deep chasm of the spectacular Victoria Falls. Get up close and personal in the absolute wilderness of the Lower Zambezi National Park, which produces plenty of opportunities to track wildlife on foot, as well as from boats and canoes, in addition to the traditional game drives.
End your Zambian safari in the South Luangwa National Park, one of the greatest wildlife sanctuaries in all of Africa.
What To Expect
8 Days / 7 Nights
Perfect for the avid safari enthusiast and birdwatching fanatic, this itinerary will allow you to immerse yourself in the history of the little town of Livingstone and marvel at the nearby Victoria Falls. Discover pristine national parks, including South Luangwa (pronounced loo-ang-wah) and Lower Zambezi. South Luangwa National Park is a delight to explore on foot.
DAY 1-2: Livingstone
Upon arrival at Harry Mwanga Nkumbula International Airport you will be met by a representative from &Beyond, who will drive you to Sanctuary Sussi and Chuma in Livingstone. This charming colonial town, named after the legendary Victorian missionary and explorer - Dr. David Livingstone, was once the bustling capital of Zambia. Established in 1905, as the country’s key European settlement, it enjoyed the excellent facilities synonymous with high society – the town still boasts the elegant Edwardian architecture of this era. Livingstone acts as Zambia’s adventure gateway as it is conveniently situated near the mighty Zambezi River and the breathtaking Victoria Falls. Spend two nights at Sanctuary Sussi and Chuma. Accommodation is in a treehouse with a lovely ensuite bathroom. Your stay includes three meals daily, laundry and all beverages (alcoholic or non-alcoholic with the exception or premium brands), activities and park fees.
Adventures include game drives in the Mosi-Oa-Tunya National Park in open 4x4 safari vehicles, guided walks and a visit to the Zambian side of the Victoria Falls.
DAY 3-5: Lower Zambezi National Park
Today you will be driven to Harry Mwanga Nkumbula International Airport for your light aircraft transfer to the Lower Zambezi National Park. Upon landing you will hop aboard a vehicle for your game drive transfer into camp. The spectacular Lower Zambezi National Park spans 4 092 square kilometres of pristine wilderness. It is situated adjacent to Zimbabwe’s Mana Pools Reserve creating a giant expanse of protected wilderness and bosts breathtaking vistas of the Zambezi River and lush riverine surrounds. It is not uncommon to see enormous herds of elephant, quenching their thirsts and enjoying a good mud bath along the riverbanks, as well as leopard, buffalo and lion. The park offers a wonderful collection of habitats, which are home to a superb diversity of animals. Visitors can explore the marshy Zambezi channels, a floodplain bordered by mopane forests, hilly woodlands and the park’s open valley floor. Unwind for two nights at Sausage Tree Camp in a luxury Bedouin style tent with an open air ensuite bathroom with bath and shower. Your stay includes accommodation, all meals, soft drinks, house wines, beers, laundry, activities, transfers from Royal airstrip and park fees.
Due to its location, Sausage Tree Camp is able to offer a wide range of safari activities including day and night game drives by open safari vehicles, wilderness walks, canoeing, game viewing by boat, birdwatching and fishing.
DAY 6-7: South Luangwa National Park
Today you will fly by light aircraft to Lusaka International Airport for your onward flight to Mfuwe Airport. Upon your arrival you will be met by a representative from &Beyond who will drive you to your camp. Spend two nights at Sanctuary Puku Ridge Tented Camp. Accommodation is in a beautiful tent with an ensuite bathroom. Your stay includes three meals daily, laundry, all local brand drinks (alcoholic or non-alcoholic with the exception of premium brands), game viewing activities and park fees. Adventures include twice-daily game drives (including spotlit night drives) in the South Luangwa National Park, as well as guided walks by a professional guide and an armed national park’s scout.
DAY 8: Lusaka
After a wholesome breakfast, you will be driven to Mfuwe for your light aircraft transfer back to Lusaka.
Rates & Terms
1 July - 31 October 2014 8 442 USD per person sharing
1 November - 15 November 2014 7 271 USD per person sharing
1 April - 31 May 2015 6 309 USD per person sharing
1 June - 14 June 2015 6 989 USD per person sharing
15 June - 31 October 2015 8 767 USD per person sharing
1 November - 15 November 2015 6 309 USd per person sharing
- Meals as specified in the itinerary
- Scheduled light aircraft and road transfers as specified in the itinerary
- Waterborne/game viewing activities as offered by the camps/lodges
- Local drinks as specified in the itinerary
- Park fees
- Emergency medical evacuation insurance
2014 RATE CONDITIONS
- Sausage Tree Camp is offering Stay 4 and Pay 3 throughout 2014 as well as a Stay 3 nights and receive a 50% discount on your 4th, 5th and 6th night valid 15 July – 15 October 2014
- Closure Dates
- Sausage Tree Camp - from 01 January to 31 March 2014
- Sanctuary Puku Ridge Camp – from 06 January to 31 March 2014
- Single traveller supplement and child rates will be quoted on request
- Validity periods are as specified above - should a booking fall over two rate periods the rate will change and we reserve the right to re-quote
- Additional suggested activities not included in the rate
- The rates quoted are subject to change without prior warning if there are any increases in bed levies, park fees, fuel, sales tax or VAT, third-party service, currency fluctuations or any other circumstances beyond our control in the countries featured in this quote
- &Beyond Trading Terms apply
- WildlifeLion, Buffalo, Elephant, Leopard, Hippos, Crocodiles
- Travelling with ChildrenSuitable for children over 8 years of age
- &Beyonds TreatNot Applicable
- Don't Leave withoutExperiencing a scenic flight over the Falls by helicopter
Where To Stay
Learn more about the luxurious &Beyond properties available for your trip.
Sanctuary Sussi and Chuma is an upmarket lodge overlooking the broad Zambezi River, just upstream from the magnificent Victoria Falls.
Sausage Tree Camp is hidden amongst mature sausage and mahogany trees on the banks of the Zambezi River.
Sanctuary Puku Ridge Camp is small and remote, unobtrusively built close to the wild.
We have many activities to keep you busy during your stay. See our destination pages for more information.
Enhance Your Experience With
- White Water Rafting
- Half Day Upper Zambezi Canoeing
- Elephant Back Safari
- Bungee Jumping
- Scenic Flight Over The Falls by Helicopter
- Livingstone Island Experience
- Sundowner Cruise - African Queen
- Tour of the Falls
Ready to planning your adventure?
Whether it’s the utter bliss of solitude and the tranquil wilderness of Zambia or the excitement of tracking the Big Five South Luangwa National Park
Experience the history and scenic wonders of Lvingstone and Victoria Falls before following the mighty Zambezi River.