Namib and Skeleton Coast
See the mist-enshrouded coastline of the Skeleton Coast.
Explore the vibrant coastal town of Swakopmund, photograph the breathtaking copper-coloured sand dunes of Sossusvlei.
Soar effortlessly over the desert and its dunes with a hot air balloon safari and appreciate the pristine beauty of the Namib Desert and its magnificent dunes on a quad bike.
What To Expect
10 days / 9 nights
This itinerary is every photographer's dream and provides spectacular scenery throughout every destination. The lodges and guesthouses compliment the essence of Namibia and is ideal for first time travellers.
Day 1: Olive Exclusive Boutique
Upon your arrival at Hosea Kutako (Windhoek) International Airport you will be met by a member of the &Beyond team who will drive you to the Olive Exclusive Boutique Hotel. Enjoy a one night stay at the Olive Exclusive Boutique Hotel in a junior suite with ensuite bathroom.
Day 2: Skeleton Coast
After a wholesome breakfast you will be driven to Eros for your departure at 10h00 to the Skeleton Coast via Conception Bay. The Kuiseb canyon and adjoining red dunes are a spectacular view from the air. The flight includes an aerial view of the famous Eduard Bohlen shipwreck at Conception Bay. After landing and refuelling at Swakopmund, you will continue with a low-level flight north along the Skeleton Coast past the seal colony at Cape Cross for a light picnic lunch near the beach. After lunch you will cross the desert by aircraft to the Ugab formations, a nearly lifeless ‘moon landscape' of numerous black ridges in stark contrast to the white desert floor. From here you will proceed to Kuidas camp in the Huab River Valley where you will stay for the night. Ancient rock engravings are found amongst the rocks within walking distance of the camp.
Day 3: Huab River
After a delicious breakfast you will depart by Land Rover to explore the colourful red lava and yellow sandstone of the Huab River environs and to be introduced to the ecological aspects of this area with its wide diversity of flora and fauna. This includes the Welwitschia Mirabilis, a tree that has been dwarfed by the rigors of the encroaching desert climate. You will have lunch at Kuidas camp before flying along the coast to Terrace Bay in the Skeleton Coast Park. The most prominent shipwrecks along this part of the coast are the Montrose and Henrietta.
At the coast, you will access the roaring dunes by Land Rover, which always proves to be a stimulating experience. You will also visit the beach with its profusion of multi-coloured pebbles consisting of agate, lava, granite and quartz. Interesting to see are old bleached whale bones scattered along the beach above the high tide mark. We return to the aircraft and continue north to our Leylandsdrift camp in the Hoarusib Valley in the Kunene Region, where you will stay for the night.
Day 4: Hoarusib Valley
After breakfast we embark on a scenic drive along the Hoarusib Valley to visit a settlement of the nomadic Himba people. We might be lucky enough to come across the desert-dwelling elephant that frequent this valley. From here we continue north along the Skeleton Coast by aircraft to the Kunene River acting as a border to Angola. The Kaiu Maru shipwreck and pieces from old sailing vessels lie scattered along this part of the coast. From the airfield we take a scenic drive by Land Rover to our favourite lunch site. After lunch we continue through the mountains and dunes of the Hartmann Valley - which extends to the Kunene River - reaching our Kunene River camp in the late afternoon.
Day 5 -6: Kunene River
Today, you can look forward to an early morning boat cruise along the Kunene River that snakes its way through the desert landscape. Enjoy exceptional bird (and perhaps some crocodile) sights. You will arrive back in time for lunch at the Camp before climbing back into your light aircraft for your flight to Swakopmund Airport, arriving late afternoon. A member from the andBeyond team will be waiting to collect you for your drive to the beautiful Hotel Zum Kaiser. Spend two nights at the Hotel Zum Kaiser in a suite with ensuite bathroom. Your stay includes breakfast.
Day 7 - 9: &Beyond Sossusvlei Desert Lodge
Today you will be collected from the hotel for your short flight to the Sossusvlei Airstrip. Unwind for 3 nights at &Beyond Sossusvlei Desert Lodge in a desert villa with an ensuite bathroom and a private veranda. Your stay includes three meals daily, soft drinks, house wines, local brand spirits and beers, teas and coffees, refreshments on game drives, laundry, safari activities and one Sossusvlei excursion per person.
Day 10: Departure
After a mouth-watering breakfast, we wave a fond farewell as you board your light aircraft for your transfer back to Hosea Kutako (Windhoek) International Airport
- WildlifeOryx gazelle (gemsbok or oryx), springbok, kudu, Hartman's and Burchell's zebra, giraffe, klipspringer, steenbok, hartebeest and baboon, leopard, spotted and brown hyena, black-backed jackal, aardwolf, bat-eared fox, Cape fox, African wildcat, caracal and genet. More than 150 bird species.
- Travelling with ChildrenNamibia is a wonderful destination for a family safari and there are plenty of activities for children, like sand boarding, quad biking, fishing and mountain biking.
- &Beyonds Treat10% off any wellness treatments booked directly at the Olive Exclusive. Glass of house wine, per guest, for guests dining at the Hotel Zum Kaiser Bistro. One balloon safari, per person, per stay at &Beyond Sossusvlei Desert Lodge
- Don't Leave withoutSeal and Dolphin Cruise in Walvis Bay.
Photographic cultural tour in the company of an experienced local photographer (Swakopmund)
Where to Stay
Learn more about the luxurious &Beyond properties available for your trip.
Namibrand Nature Reserve
Rates & Terms
- Meet and Greet service at Hosea Kutako International Airport
- Accommodation inclusions as per itinerary above
- Scheduled road and light aircraft transfers as specified in the itinerary
- Scheduled activities as specified in the itinerary
- Laundry at Sossusvlei Desert Lodge
- Emergency medical evacuation insurance
- 10% off any wellness treatments booked directly at the Olive Exclusive
- Glass of house wine, per guest, for guests dining at the Hotel Zum Kaiser Bistro
- One balloon safari, per person, per stay at &Beyond Sossusvlei Desert Lodge (not valid in July or August and is weather dependant). Ballooning is also closed 15 Jan – 15 Feb annually
We have many activities to keep you busy during your stay. See our destination pages for more information.
Enhance Your Experience With
- Explore Windhoek
- Walvis Bay Marine Desert Adventure
- Sandwich Bay Desert and Wetland Tour
- Tandem Skydiving
- Sossusvlei Hot Air Ballooning
- Living Desert Adventure
Ready to start planning your adventure?