Varanasi is a city situated on the banks of the River Ganges in the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh. It is one of the oldest inhabited cities in the world and probably the oldest of India.
The culture of Varanasi is closely associated with the River Ganges and the river's religious importance. The city has been a cultural and religious centre in North India for several thousand years. People often refer to Varanasi as "the city of temples", "the holy city of India", "the religious capital of India", "the city of lights", and "the city of learning."
- Sarnath: where Gautam Buddha is believed to have given his first sermon about the basic principles of
- Buddhism. The site houses a number of Stupas, excavated ruins of monasteries and the Ashokan pillar with the four sided lion's head which is also the national emblem of India.
- Attending Ganga Aarti: Worship of the holy river Ganges on several of the “Ghats’ or banks in a tradition unbroken for thousands of years. Every day and dawn and dusk.
Visiting temples, and the city with its quaint and unique feel.
Min 25°C/77°F Max 45 C/113'F
Min 5°C/41°F Max 25°C/77°F
- Best time to travelOctober to June
- LanguagesIndia has over 22 languages spoken across its 28 States and 7 Union Terroteries. However English and Hindi are its official languages. English is spoken and understood across the country.
- Flying to VaranasitThe major gateways into India are New Delhi in the North, Mumbai ( Bombay) in the West, Bangalore and Chennai in the South and Calcutta in the East.
- CurrencyIndian Rupee
Ready to start planning your adventure?
The name Nadesar is derived from the Goddess Nadesari, whose shrine is located in the front of the Palace.