Discover the ancient city of Varanasi, the religious capital of India, and partake in the Ganga Aarti, held on the banks of the River Ganges.
Varanasi is a city situated on the banks of the River Ganges in the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh. It is one of the oldest inhabited cities in the world and probably the oldest of India. The culture of Varanasi is closely associated with the River Ganges and the river's religious importance.
The city has been a cultural and religious centre in North India for several thousand years. People often refer to Varanasi as "the city of temples", "the holy city of India", "the religious capital of India", "the city of lights", “city of Salvation” and "the city of learning."
- Explore Sarnath, 10 kilometres outside of Varanasi. It here that Gautam Buddha is believed to have given his first sermon about the basic principles of Buddhism.
- Immerse yourself in the customs of Varanasi by attending the Ganga Aarti. Held every day at dawn and dusk, worshipers flock to the Ghats of the holy river Ganges, a tradition unbroken for thousands of years.
- Discover the many fascinating temples and the unique cultures of the city on a guided tour.
Min 25°C/77°F Max 45 C/113'F
Min 5°C/41°F Max 25°C/77°F
- Best time to travel October to June
- Languages India has over 22 languages spoken across its 28 States and 7 Union Territories. However English and Hindi are its official languages. English is spoken and understood across the country.
- Flying to Varanasi There are several, daily direct flights, which you can embark on from Delhi to Varanasi.
- Currency Indian Rupee
This incredible 10-day Sri Lanka tour offers exceptional cultural, wildlife and beach excursions in three of Sri Lanka’s most iconic destinations.
Discover some of India’s finest cultural attractions and two of its best wildlife destinations on this incredible 11-day tour.
Make the Most of Your Adventure
- Embark on a boat cruise on the Ganges River, at dawn or dusk, to see the awe-inspiring sights of this magnificent ancient city.
- Partake in a blessing ceremony by a priest. This captivating ritual is held for the wellbeing of friends and family.
- Be curious and visit a resident astrologer or palmist for a glimpse into the future.
- Indulge in some retail therapy. The city produces world famous woven silk fabrics and a saree from Varanasi is a must have. You will also find various stores selling local handicrafts, carpets and rugs.
The name Nadesar is derived from the Goddess Nadesari, whose shrine is located in the front of the Palace.
Explore the exceptional Bandhavgarh National Park, which boasts one of India’s highest concentrations of tigers.
Discover the natural wonders of Kanha National Park, which boasts the ideal habitat for both tigers and their prey species.
Ready to start planning your adventure?