Delicate, feminine and elegant, Udaipur is known by many names – City of Sunrise, Jewel of Mewar and City of Lakes.
Undoubtedly one of India’s most romantic cities, it nestles between the glassy waters of its famous lakes and the ancient Aravelli Hills. Although it is one of Rajasthan’s largest cities, modern Udaipur manages to retain a charming small town vibe.
At the heart of Udaipur lies the serene Lake Pichola, with the old city sprawled along its east bank. Built along a series of gentle hills, the winding streets, full of abrupt twists and turns, are dominated by the immense City Palace.
- Udaipur is home to the beautiful Lake Palace on Lake Pichola, with its dazzling architecture, it seems to float serenely above the surface of the water on its own island.
- Sahelion-ki-Bari, also known as the Garden of the Maids, is the site of Udaipur’s most striking fountain, which is surrounded by elephant statues, courtyards and formal gardens.
- Deep within the old city is the Jagdish Temple, whose towering walls and spires are covered with carvings of elaborate scenes and dancing nymphs
Min 25°C/77°F Max 45°C/113°F
Min 5°C/41°F Max 25°C/77°F
- Best time to travelYear round
- LanguagesIndia has over 22 languages spoken across its 28 States and 7 Union Terroteries. However English and Hindi are its official languages. English is spoken and understood across the country.
- Flying to UdaipurThe major gateways into India are New Delhi in the North, Mumbai ( Bombay) in the West, Bangalore and Chennai in the South and Calcutta in the East.
- CurrencyIndian Rupee
Make the Most of Your Adventure
- Set out on a private boat ride on Lake Pichola to see the marvellous Lake Palace
- Explore Udaipur’s main shopping area, which lies in the labyrinth of alleys around the palace and is famous for its silver jewellery, wooden folk toys and miniature paintings.
- Enjoy a romantic candlelit Pontoon dinner alongside the Lake palace with private butler
The most popular port of entry for visitors to India, Delhi offers a fascinating mixture of old and new.
India's largest port, its commercial and industrial centre, as well as its fashion capital, Mumbai is an endlessly fascinating hive of activity.
Situated on the eastern edge of the Thar Desert, Jodhpur is dominated by the imposing fortress that towers above the city on a sandstone ridge.
Ready to start planning your adventure?