Moremi Game Reserve
The only proclaimed wildlife reserve in the Okavango Delta, Moremi Game Reserve is also widely regarded as the most beautiful. Moremi Game Reserve has the most diverse habitat and animal populations in Botswana.
The reserve contains about a quarter of the Okavango Delta and stretches across several thousand square kilometres, comprising a stunning landscape of forests, lagoons, floodplains and islands.
Game viewing is excellent year-round and resident species include lion, cheetah, leopard, elephant, wild dog, zebra, red lechwe and many more.
- The Moremi Game Reserve covers much of the eastern side of the Okavango Delta and combines permanent water with drier areas, creating some startling and unexpected contrasts.
- Some prominent geographical features of the Reserve are Chiefs Island and the Moremi Tongue. In the Moremi Reserve one can experience excellent views of Savannah game as well as bird-watching on the lagoons.
- There are also thickly wooded areas, which are home to the rare African wild dog and leopard.
- Although just under 5,000 square kilometres (1,900 sq. mi) in extent, it is a surprisingly diverse Reserve, combining mopane woodland and acacia forests, floodplains and lagoons. Only about 30% of the Reserve is mainland, with the bulk being within the Okavango Delta itself.
- Expect excellent birding.
Min 20°C/69°F Max 30°C/86°F
Min 6°C/42°F Max 25°C/78°F
- Best time to travelYear Round
- Traveling with ChildrenChildren over the age of 12 are welcome.
- WildlifeExcellent place to see the African Wild Dog and a vast array of wildlife, including buffalo, giraffe, lion, leopard, cheetah, hyena, jackal, impala, red lechwe, and nearly 500 species of birds.
- LanguagesEnglish is widely spoken throughout Botswana.
- Flying to BotswanaFrequent flights link Johannesburg to Maun and Kasane - the gateways to the national parks and wildlife areas.
- CurrencyThe currency is Pula (P); US Dollars are widely accepted.
Enhance Your Experience With
- Mobile Safaris
- Photographic Safari
- Game Drives
Home to vast herds of elephant. Enjoy leisurely river cruises and game drives among the towering baobabs seeking out leopard and wild dog.
Explore the Okavango Delta by mokoro, on foot or on game drive. Its sparkling channels and flourishing wilderness teem with game.
A reserve like no other, Selinda's spillway links the Delta to other prime game areas and attracts abundant predators and game year round.
Ready to start planning your adventure?