The Makgadikgadi Pans span 16 000 km² (9 942 square miles) and are the largest salt pans in the world. Remnants of an ancient lake, the pans are interspersed with sandy desert and occasional vegetation.
One of Africa's biggest zebra populations makes this vista of white sand and salt their home. When rains fall during the wet season, the pans are filled with water and attract large flocks of flamingos, as well as big herds of zebra, springbok and wildebeest, followed closely by predators, making for fantastic game viewing.
- Flamingo breeding season on Sowa Pan.
- Riding a quad bike across the desolate pans.
- Night sky covered with a blanket of stars.
- Experience total isolation.
- Take in the complete and utter silence.
- Discover Stone Age tools.
Min 20°C/69°F Max 30°C/86°F
Min 6°C/42°F Max 25°C/78°F
- Best time to travelYear Round
- Traveling with ChildrenChildren over the age of 12 are welcome.
- WildlifeDuring migration (November to April) see thousands of game animals, including springbok, gemsbok, wildebeest, and zebra, and the lions, cheetahs and hyenas which prey on them.
- LanguagesEnglish is widely spoken throughout Botswana.
- Flying to BotswanaFrequent flights link Johannesburg to Gaborone, Maun and Kasane - the gateways to the national parks and wildlife areas.
- CurrencyThe currency is Pula (P); US Dollars are widely accepted.
Spoil yourself with a sensational African safari in Botswana's exquisite landscapes and enjoy complimentary flights between the camps.
Embark on the ultimate African safari with andBeyond Expeditions’ six mobile camping tours in Botswana.
Explore Botswana on this luxury African safari that will take you to the country's most prized destinations, ending off at Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe.
Explore the best of Southern Africa on an 11-day tour that perfectly combines thrilling safari adventures and Cape Town attractions.
Enhance Your Experience With
- Living with the Bushmen of the Western Kalahari
- Camp Kalahari Horseback Safari
- Mobile Safaris
- Photographic Safari
- Game Drives
- Night Game Drive
- Guided Walks
- Village trips
Home to vast herds of elephant. Enjoy leisurely river cruises and game drives among the towering baobabs seeking out leopard and wild dog.
Explore the Okavango Delta by mokoro, on foot or on game drive. Its sparkling channels and flourishing wilderness teem with game.
A reserve like no other, Selinda's spillway links the Delta to other prime game areas and attracts abundant predators and game year round.
Ready to start planning your adventure?