The Makgadikgadi Pans span 16 000 km² (9 942 square miles) and are the largest salt pans in the world. Remnants of an ancient lake, the pans are interspersed with sandy desert and occasional vegetation.
One of Africa's biggest zebra populations makes this vista of white sand and salt their home. When rains fall during the wet season, the pans are filled with water and attract large flocks of flamingos, as well as big herds of zebra, springbok and wildebeest, followed closely by predators, making for fantastic game viewing.
- Flamingo breeding season on Sowa Pan.
- Riding a quad bike across the desolate pans.
- Night sky covered with a blanket of stars.
- Experience total isolation.
- Take in the complete and utter silence.
- Discover Stone Age tools.
Min 20°C/69°F Max 30°C/86°F
Min 6°C/42°F Max 25°C/78°F
- Best time to travelYear Round
- Traveling with ChildrenChildren over the age of 12 are welcome.
- WildlifeDuring migration (April to November) see thousands of game animals, including springbok, gemsbok, wildebeest, and zebra, and the lions, cheetahs and hyenas which prey on them.
- LanguagesEnglish is widely spoken throughout Botswana.
- Flying to BotswanaFrequent flights link Johannesburg to Gaborone, Maun and Kasane - the gateways to the national parks and wildlife areas.
- CurrencyThe currency is Pula (P); US Dollars are widely accepted.
A luxury safari itinerary for adventure and wildlife enthusiasts, honeymooners, and those who love to gaze at the stars!
Enjoy the ultimate in comfort on a mobile safari that travels through Botswana's most scenic wildlife areas.
Enhance Your Experience With
- Living with the Bushmen of the Western Kalahari
- Camp Kalahari Horseback Safari
- Mobile Safaris
- Photographic Safari
- Game Drives
- Night Game Drive
- Guided Walks
- Village trips
Ready to start planning your adventure?
Home to vast herds of elephant. Enjoy leisurely river cruises and game drives among the towering baobabs seeking out leopard and wild dog.
Explore the Okavango Delta by mokoro, on foot or on game drive. Its sparkling channels and flourishing wilderness teem with game.
The setting for epic clashes between lion and hyena, photographic marvel and game-rich paradise, Savute is one of the best-known names in safari.